Laman

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Cure Insanity

Can non-psychiatric treatment cure insanity? 

I was glad to get confirmation about the possibility of curing insanity, at least the paranoid type. Unlike the disorganized ones, paranoids still retain their cognitive processes intact. And this is enough despite the distinct difficulties dealing with them.

Aside from paranoid, I have been fascinated with this ‘another side of intelligence’ since my childhood. Abnormality seems to play its games of cognition in the subjective (plural) worlds they could fully make sense. 

What was it in their mind, I wondered, when seeing the man I always saw singing in the market back in my childhood? My mother never failed to give some pennies to him whose wits, in a child’s perception, had been reduced to mere instincts. I frequently questioned my mom’s intention stating that the man could not even count from 1 to 10! She unwaveringly insisted that he would be guided by physical necessities as to how to use the money. “That is the only reason why he always waits for us at the gate”, she explained happily.

Was it a kind of ‘special motherly’ treatment?

Few days ago, seeing a homeless crazy man sitting at the corner of our building, such a sad sight, I took out some coins telling him to buy some bread. He just looked at me confused. Realizing the absurdity of my action, I made a gesture of eating. Immediately he picked on the signal, stood up ignoring the money and followed me growling. I was embarrassed as people started to giggle. It dawned on me that he believed I would be giving him something to eat, not money to buy some food. 

What is craziness and what is so-called science of the mind, I wondered loudly.

This recent experience with schizophrenia brought back the old fascination once again. But this time, it is a psychologist’s perspective. Repeated encounters have made me believe the impression that we can still have communication with them. The mind is still capable of comprehending the presence of others and others’ intention towards them.


These two qualities are very crucial for a therapeutic relationship. Surely we cannot expect these people to work the way ‘better’ clients do. But the question is if these very basic requirements, as instinctual as they are, can possibly contribute to help crack the process of treatment and the betterment of their cognitive process, and accordingly, cognitive rehabilitation.

I think this is the only reason why the open treatment facilities run by an Islam ulama in one of the cities of Indonesia have accumulated many successful stories. The rationale behind their treatment programs is that craziness is likely the combined effects of personal-social factors. Ironically, the society holds strong biases against insanity and even enables discriminatory treatments toward the disadvantaged group. Children ridiculing the crazy is one example. Another one is the superstitious beliefs about the causes of the disease. Even sometimes, people associate it with a curse, a karmic consequence of the accumulated wrongdoings by the predecessors. 

To remedy what is seen as lacking in the ward-based treatment, the religious leader urges the people living nearby the open treatment facilities to take part in the process of therapy. Children are taught to treat the patients with respect. Families of the clients and the villagers are encouraged to take an active participation in the process of bringing back the positive memories and let the clients know that they are openly welcome. The key is not to think of the patients as hopeless but those whose rights to more fulfilling life can be made possible through mutual relationship and systematic reintegration. 

Recovery, either partially or fully, is not a wishful thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment